Unlike many Americans today, I could be considered over-employed. I am blessed to work for a fantastic organization in healthcare. Being in the healthcare field means that it must be staffed constantly. Because of this overtime is almost always available.
I'll be one of the first to admit that I have no one to blame but myself for my families finances (unless you allow that I've been bamboozled by the idea that consumerism equals patriotism, then I'll blame the government). They're what you might call a shambles. We lived way above our means for way too long. We made bad choices. I allowed it. I actively participated in it. Hell, I encouraged it.
Now, we're paying for it. Part of the price we're paying is that I have to take whatever overtime I can get. And I can get a lot.
However, there are other prices we have to pay now; time away from writing, time away from gardening, and (most painful) time away from my wife and kids. I can guarantee that, even after the bills are paid, we'll be paying for this for years to come because of lost opportunities.
Is it worth it? It will be years before we find out. What's the alternative? Bankruptcy? No, we'll be out of financial distress long before we would be from the hit from bankruptcy. My wife going back to work? She will eventually, maybe, but right now she's needed at home far more.
We'll see.
No comments:
Post a Comment