Thursday, July 7, 2011

Step one, go to store. Step two, realize I forgot something. Step three, go to store.

My biggest problem is, and always has been, that I don't think ahead.  I don't plan my projects.  I'm the guy that goes to my local hardware store four times to finish a task because I don't think though all of the materials that I'll need before hand.  This has led to a lot of unfinished projects around the house, a lot of notes stuck in my drawer.

It's now July 7th and a little too early to plant fall crops and way too late to plant summer crops.  So let's think ahead.

What can I start doing right now for this fall and next spring?

Compost.  Easy enough (really, don't let anyone fool you).  This one's a no brainer, all I have to do is pile organic material and let it... rot.  Sure, there are thousand, hundreds of thousands millions of sites on the internet explaining THE EXACT RIGHT WAY to let stuff rot.  Seriously?

OK, I'll admit that I've been composting for years now.  It's not like this is going to be a new project.


However, I am going to start doing something new with my composting.  Get ready...  Get set...

I'M GOING TO EXTREME COMPOST!!!!!!!!!


You know that if you compost you still surf the web looking for new tips and tricks to get the most out of what Mother Nature has been doing for free the whole time.  I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to practice the "if it rots, bury it" and "if it stinks when it rots, bury it deeper" method of composting.

I know some of you are dreading what I'm about to say, but...

I am going to compost everything (almost, I've got dogs a dog and I just can't bring myself to tempt fate too much) that comes out of this household that can be composted.  And yes, that includes the the three compost no-no's: meats, dairy, and oils.  Remember the old adage, "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle"?

...and let the advice and admonishments begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment